We are looking for a Security Engineer to work closely with our CTO and engineering team to set the highest security standard for a next-generation identity platform.
This is a unique opportunity to join as we transition from a stealth startup to a well-known brand that consumers and companies alike know and trust. You’ll be working closely with experienced business and technical leaders where your voice will be heard, and your actions will shape the team’s success. As with many early stage companies, there is an immense opportunity to learn and have impact as we grow.
We believe strongly that diverse teams drive greater innovation. Diversity comes from people of different backgrounds and experiences working together in an environment where ideas are respected, voices are heard, and decisions are made with integrity in the best interest of our company and our customers. We believe we can build the best product when everyone contributes.
Nametag has both B2B and B2C components - we are a platform that connects companies with their customers. Nametag preserves the privacy of our end-users and removes the burden of storing PII from our customers; everything we do is focused on end-user privacy and security while allowing people to share selected pieces of their personal information with our customers. Our backend is written in Go and runs on AWS. Our web frontend is React and Typescript. Our mobile apps are native code written in Swift and Kotlin. Experience with our tech stack is a bonus, but not a requirement.
In your first 180 days
- Support the development of forthcoming products by providing actionable security analysis and threat models
- Design and implement privacy-preserving, cryptographically robust protocols to be used between our various components and between us and our customers.
- Work on novel anti-phishing techniques.
- Examine our existing products with a critical eye towards the security, privacy and inclusivity implications.
No one is perfect and you don’t need to answer yes to all of these to be amazing in this role, but ideally you match most of the items below, and you possess the drive and attitude to learn the rest. You’ll thrive in this role if you:
- You have a passion for building revolutionary privacy experiences for real humans.
- You’ve worked on security or privacy in a consumer-facing environment and understand the importance of great user experience to adoption.
- You have first hand experience with real attacks and threats, either in an enterprise or consumer context.
- You have some experience with applied cryptography. (You don’t need to be designing novel post-quantum crypto, but you should be comfortable selecting algorithms and key sizes, and know whether you should sign first and then encrypt, or the other way around.)
- You’ve developed threat models on something slightly more formal than a cocktail napkin.
- You have more than a casual relationship with a high level language. Your experience doesn’t have to be in any of our languages, but if it isn’t you are willing to learn at least a couple of those.
The base salary range for this full-time position is $150,000 to $220,000 plus equity and benefits.
Nametag is a founding member of the Open Imperative, and publicly committed to pay equity in the technology industry. We post positions with ranges to encourage people of different backgrounds and experiences to apply, but the salary for every specific job offer is benchmarked using market data sources to ensure they are fair and consistent.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter or hiring manager can share more about the specific salary range during the hiring process.